|Christian & Ernst Carstens
In 1900, Christian Heinrich Carstens bought the earthenware factory Magdeburg Steingutfabrik. By the 1920s, Christian and Ernst Carstens, his sons, developed it into a multi-branched company whose factories played a significant role in developing the fine ceramics industry of the era. Managed individually on site, porcelain factories were located in Reichenbach, Blankenheim, Sorau, Luebeck, and Zeven, near Bremen. Earthenware factories were sited in Neuhaldensleben, Rheinsberg, Elmshorn, Hirschau, Graefenroda, and Georgenthal. Under the names Hubbe and J. Uffrecht & Co., earthenware factories were also located in Neuhaldensleben. Under the sole leadership of Christian Carstens, factories in Wallhausen und Greussen produced sanitary pottery.
Following Christian Carsten's death in 1929, the original Christian & Ernst Carstens Company was divided into two separate companies: Christian Carstens Kommandit-Gesellschaft and Ernst Carstens Erben, whose owner-managers were the sons of Christian Carstens. Carstens Kommandit-Gesellschaft owned factories in Neuhaldensleben, Hirschau, Graefenroda, Georgenthal, Rheinberg, Luebeck, Wallhausen, and Greussen. Factories in Reichenbach, Blankenhain, Sorau, Elmshorn and Zeven were owned by Ernst Carstens Erben.
Christian Carstens, Kommandit-Gesellschaft Feinsteingutfabrik, Graefenroda
Founded in 1919, Owner: Christian Carstens, Director: Gustav Matz. Products included fine earthenware, large-scale production of coffee and tea services, vases, bowls, biscuit jars, a large variety of storage and other containers, milk jugs, flowerpots, drip bowls, tea blocks, lemon presses, ashtrays, pots for making hot chocolate, and all manner of gift items. Both underglaze and onglaze decorations were used. This factory was famous for the spray, englobe, and painting techniques used to create modern shapes and decorations. Artistic models used were probably designed by Artur Hennig and his students at the Keramische Fachschule (Ceramic Vocational School) in Bunzlau.
Christian Carstens, Kommandit-Gesellschaft Steingutfabriken, Neuhaldensleben
Founded in 1900, Owner: the Carstens family; Business Manager: Edgar Meyer; Technical Director: an engineer named Schulhof; Artist: Mirene Schmidt.
Christian Carstens, Kommandit-Gesellschaft Hartsteingutfabrik, Georgenthal
Founded in 1919, Director: Gustav Matz. Products made at this factory included fruit bowls, fruit services, vases, tea services, hot chocolate services, pots for making hot chocolate, déjeuner sets, teapots with tea warmers, tea boxes, ornamental baskets, confectionery services, ashtrays, desk sets, inkwells and blotters, wine coolers, table lamps, and various gift items in modern designs using multifaceted modern colour techniques. Types of decoration used included spray-on patterns, underglazing, matt glazing, and artistic glazing. The factory was notable for new directions in design. Products were exported all over the world. Annual production totalled 400,000 Reichsmarks. In 1925, there were 150 employees; this had dropped to 65 employees by 1934.
J. Uffrecht & Co., Steingutfabrik, Branch of the Christian Carstens Kommandit-Gesellschaft, Neuhaldensleben
Founded in 1845, Owner: the Carstens family. Here, the product line encompassed artistic ceramics and faience, coffee and tea services, pots for making hot chocolate, bowls, dishes, sweet containers, cake boxes, fruit sets, fruit drainers, punchbowl sets, ashtrays, and lamp stands. Types of decoration included underglazing, matt glazing, and spray-on designs. The artists responsible for the designs were Martha Carstens and Grete Weiss. The factory exported its products and had 450 employees in 1925 and 300 by 1934. In 1932, the three ultra-modern firms in Neuhaldensleben - Hubbe, Uffrecht, and Neuhaldensleben - had 700 employees.
Christian Carstens, Kommandit-Gesellschaft Steingutfabrik, Earthenware and Artistic Ceramics Division, Rheinsberg
Founded in 1901; Owner: Limited Partnership; Business Manager: P. Breitenstein; Technical Director: Fritz Hampel. Products included brown teapots with light bands and grainy brown glazing, glazed black and grainy brown tea and coffee sets, pots for making hot chocolate, juice containers, vases, bowls, and flowerpots, as well as artistic ceramics. Among the types of decoration used at the Earthenware Division were underglazing, englobe technique, spray-on decorations, and stencilled decorations. Decorations used at the Artistic Ceramics Division included matt glazing, craquelé, and hand painting. The products were exported all over the world. The factory had its own cutting mill. In 1925 it had 300 employees; by 1934, only 140.